Thursday, April 30, 2009

Little Musgrave



Christy Moore
The Ballad of Little Musgrave

It fell upon a holy-day
as many's in the year.
Musgrave to the church did go
to see fine ladies there.

And some were dressed in velvet red
and some in velvet pale.
Then in came Lord Barnard's wife,
the fairest among them all.

And she cast an eye on Little Musgrave,
as bright as the summer sun.
Said Musgrave unto himself,
"This lady's heart have I won."

"I have loved you, fair lady,
for long and many's the day."
"And I have loved you, Little Musgrave,
and never a word did say."

"I have a bower at Bucklesfordberry,
it's my heart's delight.
I'll take you back there with me
if you'll lie in me arms all night."

Standing by was a little footpage,
From the lady's coach he ran.
"Although I am a lady's page,
I am Lord Barnard's man.

And me Lord Barnard will hear of this,
Whether I sink or swim."
And everywhere the bridge was broken,
he'd enter the water and swim.

"Me Lord Barnard, me Lord Barnard,
you are a man of life,
but Musgrave is at Bucklesfordberry,
asleep with your wedded wife."

"If this be true, me little footpage,
this thing that you tell me,
all the gold in Bucklesfordberry
I gladly will give to thee.

But if this be a lie, me little foot page,
this thing that you tell me,
From the highest tree in Bucklesfordberry
hanged you will be."

"Go saddle me the black," he said,
"go saddle me the grey."
"Sound you not your horns," he said,
"lest our coming you betray."

But there was a man in Lord Barnard's train
Who loved the little Musgrave
and he blew his horn both loud and shrill,
"Away, Musgrave, away!"

"I think I hear the morning cock,
I think I hear the jay.
I think I hear Lord Barnard's men,
I wish I was away."

"Lie still, lie still, me Little Musgrave,
and hug me from the cold.
It's nothing but a shepherd lad,
a-bringing his flock to fold.

Is not your hawk upon it's perch?
Your steed eats oats and hay;
and you've a woman in your arms,
why would you go away?"

So they turned around and they kissed twice
and then they fell asleep.
When they awoke Lord Barnard's men
were standing at their feet.

"How do you like me bed?" he said,
"How do you like me sheets?
How do you like me fair lady,
that lies in your arms asleep?"

"It's well I like your bed," he said,
"great it gives me pain,
I'd gladly give a hundred pound
to be on yonder plain."

"Rise up, rise up,little Musgrave,
rise up and then put on;
It shall not be said that in this country
I slayed a naked man."

So slowly, slowly he got up,
slowly he put on.
Slowly went down the stairs
thinking he'd be slain.

"There are two swords by my side,
dear they cost my purse.
You could take the best of them,
and I will take the worst."

And the first stroke little Musgrave struck,
it hurt Lord Barnard sore.
But the next stroke Lord Barnard struck,
Little Musgrave ne'er struck more.

And then up spoke the fair lady,
from the bed whereon she lay:
"Although you're dead, Little Musgrave,
still for you I'll pray."

"How do you like his cheeks?" he said,
"how do you like his chin?
And how do you like his dead body,
now there's no life within?"

"It's well I like those cheeks," she cried,
"and well I love that chin.
It's more I want his dead body
than all your kith and kin."

He's taken out his long, long sword,
to strike the mortal blow,
through and through the lady's heart
the cold steel, it did go.

"A grave, a grave," Lord Barnard cried,
"To put these lovers in.
Put me lady on the upper hand,
she came from better kin."

"For I've just killed the finest knight
that ever rode a steed.
And I've just slain the finest woman
That ever did a woman's deed."

It fell upon a holy-day
as many's in the year.
Musgrave to the church did go
to see fine ladies there.



***

Tekst tuli põhiliselt siit ja Christy Moore'i enda kodulehelt, aga kuna kumbki lauldavale päriselt ei vastanud, sai seda pisut kohendatud. Lugu ise on tuntud veel mitme nime all, Wikipedia artikli nimeks on "Matty Groves".

 
eXTReMe Tracker